Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Toeing the Start Line!

I'm back!  I decided to change the name of my blog because, frankly, Fat Girl Finding Fit just seemed so self degrading.  Every time I logged in I reminded myself of where I've been instead of focusing on where I am going!  I think the new blog has a much more aptly named title!

If you were not a reader of the old blog, I'll tell you a little about myself!  My name is Monica, I am closer to 40 than I'd like to think about. :-)  I have two wonderful kids - both under the age of 7.  I am currently a stay at home Mom, once my youngest starts school then I will go back to work. I have a very wonderful and supportive husband named Pete.  I suffer from a nerve pain disorder called Trigeminal Neuralgia.  While I do have some pretty bad days, I generally don't let it stop me from doing the things I love.  I might complain about it a lot, and for that I'm sorry.  Sometimes it is the only way I can get through the day.  I am very overweight.  Two years ago I was even more so.  I had lost 50 lbs and gained a love for running!  I did lots of races, mostly 5k but I did do 2 10k's.  I LOVED it!  Then I had to have surgery.  I gained back 30 lbs - BOO.  This brings me to right now.

I am basically starting back at the beginning.  It's been a very rough year for me, health wise.  I had to stop running in the fall due to a major prolapse of my uterus.  It was horrible!  I had surgery to repair the prolapse.  Let's just say I had a COMPLETE overhaul.  The recovery was very difficult and long.  I had to have a hysterectomy as well as a pelvic floor organ lift and a bladder sling was installed.  If it sounds awful, you should have felt it.  YUCK!  I'm VERY glad it's behind me!  I got the go ahead from my doctor to start running again in January, so I did.  Then I ended up with plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis.  Good Lord.  It felt like my body was against fitness!  I am happy to report that I NOW have orthotics that my podiatrist made for me and all is well with my feet again!  We ALSO found out that my husband's work will reimburse us for a gym membership as long as we go to the gym 12 times in a month.  EASY PEASY!  We found a really AMAZING gym down the road from us.  I am in LOVE with it!

 Yesterday was my first day back on track and I'm proud to say that I have stuck firmly to my plan!  I tend to do great during the day and then screw up in the evening.  I didn't do that yesterday!  I made a rule that I can not eat anything after 8 pm.  I think that should put a kibosh on the slacking off at night!  Here is what I am doing.  Dietary-wise I am following weight watchers.  I've had great success with it in the past so it makes sense for me to take back up with it again!  Fitness wise I am following the couch to 5k program that I did two years ago.  I hate that I have lost all my running ability but the AWESOME thing is that I have not lost my desire to get out there and run!  I think that should help me get my legs back!  I am also doing some basic weight training.  Here is what my week looks like :

Monday: couch to 5k
Tuesday: upper body weight training
Wednesday: couch to 5k
Thursday: lower body weight training and some cross training on the stationary bike.
Friday: couch to 5k
Saturday: upper body weight training
Sunday: rest day

For now, I am going to do most of my running on the treadmill - just until I can get a feel for the speed I want to run.  I am starting out with the running segments at 5.0 and the walking at 2.0 - all on zero incline.  I know this is not the same as running outdoors but I want to ease into this so I don't get an injury and have to start over AGAIN!!

My weight training are all done in 5 sets of 10.  Upper body consists of dumbbell bench press, dumbbell biceps curls, dumbbell shoulder press, lat pull downs, and triceps push downs.  Lower body consists of extensions, curls, and calf raises.  Once I get my muscles stronger I will add more weight training exercises.

I will be sure to get my husband to take a starting picture as well as measurements so you can all watch me shrink. :-P

This entry is getting insanely long!  I will call it a day right here and pick back up tomorrow!  I look forward to hearing from any followers I might gain!  Have a wonderful day!! -Monica

2 comments:

  1. I am super happy to see you back. :-) I'm sorry about all your struggles last year, but am happy to hear you still have the desire and drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy! I'm so glad you found me! I always loved hearing from you! I'm back and finding my new groove! I think a new blog was in order! :-) I can't tell you how much having a blog helps me stay honest!

    ReplyDelete